How To Make Kale
Kale is a vegetable which is mostly served as salad. Lately, cooks have started bringing this wonderful vegetable in main dishes too, hence making it important to learn how to make kale. It is imperative to know the types of kale before knowing how to make kale. Different types of kale take account of dinosaur kale, ornamental kale and curly kale. Each type can be used as desired. However, curly kale has strongest flavor of all.
Kale can be used in variety of dishes. For instance, you can use this healthy vegetable in lasagna, salad, soup, quiche, juice, slaw, pasta and pizza. More importantly, you can make kale pesto, kale chips and sautéed kale. Kale is available throughout the year so you can learn how to make kale anytime. While buying kale make sure your have bought kale with crisp and dark leaves. You can store kale in your refrigerator up to 3 days, but do not wash it; wash it just before cooking.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 bunches of kale
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large ham hocks
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 quarts of chicken broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- Salt to taste
Directions on how to make kale
- Take a deep pan, preferably a pot. Fry chopped onion in the pot already heated over medium flame.
- Add garlic, bay leaves and ham hocks in the pot. Cook for 10 minutes to make sure everything added is cooked well. You can ensure by seeing onions are softened after sometime.
- Chop kale into fine ribbons. Add chopped kale into the pot and mix it well.
- Add vinegar, chicken broth, sugar and red pepper. Stir well.
- Keep the flame medium. Bring this mixture to boil. Use the wooden spoon to stir the mixture. Color of the leaves will start darkening. Now cover the pot and let it simmer. Cook it for 45 minutes.
- Add salt and season it with any other spice (optional).
- Cover the pot again and let it stay over heat for another 10 minutes.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaves. Delicious kale is ready.
You can enjoy this recipe as a main dish. It is extremely healthy. You can try crispy kale chips as well.